Wrandom
ramblings

Monday, July 18, 2005
  Storms a comin'...
Romans 15:
14And concerning you, my brethren, I myself also am convinced that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able also to admonish one another. 15But I have written very boldly to you on some points so as to remind you again, because of the grace that was given me from God, 16to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles, ministering as a priest the gospel of God, so that my offering of the Gentiles may become acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. 17Therefore in Christ Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God. 18For I will not presume to speak of anything except what (AE)Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed, 19in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit; so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

This was the passage from our sermon on Sunday. Hunter talked about the concept of being a living sacrifice and our role in bringing, as ministers, the “offering of the Gentiles” to the altar. The sermon involved a stuffed monkey, kids building an altar, and the startling idea that I am “full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able also to admonish”. Of course I think in my case as it was with the people Paul was writing to it was an “all ready, not yet” sort of observation intended to build these people up.

I am a minister of Christ to the Gentiles. God has empowered me to do this. I am an empty vessel that he has filled with the clear, living water that can slake the thirst of the weary traveler. I can admonish my brethren. I can help them grow in the love of Christ, but I can only do this by proclaiming what Christ has accomplished through me. The distance he has brought me down the road and the long stretch left yet to travel. The result of this will be a calling in someone else’s life that will further result in their obedience.

This road could take me as far away from home as I have ever been even if that is just down the street. It is certain that it will take me out of my comfort zone and into uncharted territory. Leigh and I spoke last night and we believe that God could be preparing us to be missionaries. We are daily called to trust in Him for financial matters as especially missionaries would be. Our various moves, our love of a wealth of foreign cultures, our love of teaching all speak to a preparation for something. If it isn’t missions work in a foreign country or helping plant a church right down the street, that’s okay. The possibilities are endless. It could be something as simple as opening our home to a community Bible study.

All I do know for sure is that I see distant rain clouds bringing more of that refreshing water that comes to fill my cisterns. A storm that promises turbulence aplenty, but rapid and beautiful growth that points to a creator who loves and wishes to make His presence known.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from capteucalyptus. Make your own badge here.