Wrandom
ramblings

Monday, July 03, 2006
  I Pledge Allegiance...
Happy Independence Day Eve!!! I was listening to my favorite talk show, Brad and Britt, and apparently North Carolina is going to pass a law that requires schools to lead the Pledge of Allegiance and display the flags of both the state and the country. Here's part of the story. There's already a law that encourages school systems to "provide the opportunity". And it says that schools should not force students to do it.

Now at first blush I was like, "What's the problem?" Then after talking to B&B I gave it some more thought. This does smack of life back in the fifties; loyalty oathes, witch hunts, fear. That's not what out country should be about. The idea of making an oath to liberty and justice while forcing folks to say it, or at least forcing schools to "provide the opportunity" seems at least ironic. In that spirit and in the spirit of the fifties I will re-write the oath in a fashion that I imagine would please our president.

I pledge allegiance to the President
of the United States of America,
and to the Plutocracy for which he hungers:
one Nation divided,
With Liberty and Justice for those who can afford it.
 
Comments:
I like your pledge.

And in my humble opinion, pledges should come from the heart, not from an ordinance.

Nice post.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from capteucalyptus. Make your own badge here.